Records of the Library
4 cartons, 3 boxes (6.66 linear feet)
(1935 – 2016)
Edward H. Nabb Center for Delmarva History and Culture, Salisbury, University, Salisbury, Maryland
|Creator(s)||Salisbury University Libraries|
Materials were accumulated in Blackwell Library with no formal transfers or donations.
|Use||Records are open for research. Copyright, including literary rights, belongs to the author(s) or their legal heirs. Permission to publish or reproduce must be obtained from the Nabb Research Center which extends beyond "fair use."|
|Preferred Citation||"Item, collection title and identifier, box # and folder # (if applicable), Edward H. Nabb Research Center for Delmarva History and Culture, Salisbury University, Salisbury, Maryland."|
|Attribution||Finding aid written by Ian Post, July 2016|
Photograph Files (1923 – 2015)
Dr. Alice Bahr Publications Collection (1983 – 2013)
Judith K. Fischer Papers (1973 – 1996)
Stephanie Freide Papers (1977 – 2013)
James Thrash papers (1949 – 2018)
Records of the Patricia R. Guerrieri Academic Commons (1998 – 2016)
Series 3: Academic Commons Renderings, undated (32/3/14)
Series 3: Blackwell Library Rendering, circa 1956 (32/3/14)
Series 9: Posters: Giving Day, De-Stress Station, Family Weekend, "Handmade Thinking" Exhibit, 2019 (Unit 3, Drawer 14 )
Series 11: Blackwell Library broadsides, undated (32/3/14)
Artifacts (Chair and doorplate—see Scope and Contents Note)
Blackwell Library blueprints
The Records of the Library contain records, photographs, and memorabilia from Salisbury University Libraries that range from 1950 to 1990. The University Libraries began as the College Library and was housed in Holloway Hall. In 1957, a building known as the College Library was built. The building was dedicated as Blackwell Library in 1966. In 2016, the library moved from Blackwell to the newly constructed Guerrieri Academic Commons. The records include information on the administration, employees, and changes of the Library. Changes mentioned include the building and dedication of Blackwell as well as the Guerrieri Academic Commons. Ledgers and journals in the collection detail incoming books, fines, and lost books. The collection also includes scrapbooks, photographs, and other ephemera relating to the library. Library publications and material relating to events hosted by the library are present in the collection.
The Salisbury University Libraries began as the College Library of what was then— in 1925— called the Maryland Normal School at Salisbury. Housed in the north wing of the first floor of the main building (now Holloway Hall), the College Library began with roughly 5,000 volumes of books. By 1929, the library had also subscribed to over 40 magazines.
According to the 1926 Evergreen yearbook, Dorothy Doerr was the first librarian. From 1938 to 1969, Grace E. Strickland Chaires served as the first trained librarian; Chaires joined the Women’s Reserve of the Navy and served between 1943 and 1946. In 1945, there were approximately 20,000 volumes of books and new subjects were introduced as the college’s curriculum expanded.
In 1952, the first bookplates were introduced and the Campus School had its first dedicated librarian. However, the 1950s saw one of the most significant changes for the library: a new building. The new building, known as the College Library, was approved by the State Department of Education on July 26, 1950 and first opened its doors October 1957.
When the school began to name its buildings on campus in 1966, the library was dedicated as the Blackwell Library. In 1975, the building underwent renovations that significantly altered the appearance and furniture of the library.
By 1992, the library ceased using the catalog card system; later in the 1990s, library staff delivered eulogies for the catalog.
The library has also had different satellite library departments that are part of the Libraries, which include the Curriculum Resource Center (formerly the Curriculum Laboratory), Instructional Design and Delivery, and the Campus Elementary School Library.
In 2016, the Salisbury University Libraries moved into the newly constructed Guerrieri Academic Commons. The last day that Blackwell Library was open was July 8.
The Records of the Library consist of records, photographs, and memorabilia that were created by the Salisbury University Libraries and, earlier, the College Library. The bulk of the records date between 1950 and 1990 and were produced to support the various functions of the library, including the acquisition, environmental management, promotion, and borrowing of books and other library materials on campus.
The first series, Administration, pertains to the long-range management of the library through reports, budgeting, committees, and organizational structure. Particular note should be paid to the reports, which document the accreditation of the library, as well as major changes in both organization and physical structure. Similar records regarding the administration of the libraries can be found in the James Thrash papers and the Alice Bahr publications.
The second series, Personnel, relates to the employees of the library. While the majority of the documents demonstrate practices and procedures for different eras, there are also all staff memorandums and ephemera.
The third series is one of the most expansive and documents changes in the physical facilities of the library. The bulk of these records relate to Blackwell Library, or the College Library building before its dedication in1966. The planning documents about the Academic Commons and Blackwell Library have, in most cases, remained in their original order. Three renderings of the Academic Commons are oversize and separated. One rendering of Blackwell Library from around 1956 is also oversized and separated. Blueprints for Blackwell Library are separated as well.
The fourth series include statistics that track various functions of the library, such as circulation, holdings, and student opinions.
The fifth series consists of four metal-edge bound ledgers that document incoming books, which made note of the author and title in addition to price.
The sixth series contains journals that document student library fines and books that were lost.
The seventh series include guides for the library building and its services, primarily for Blackwell Library. There are also a limited number of guides for more specific services of the library.
The eighth series relates to the publicity of the library through its publications: College Library News and Notes, the Curriculum Lab Newsletter, Library Lite, and the Enlightener. This series also includes newspaper clippings relating to library matters.
The ninth series documents events hosted by the library, including the dedication for the library in 1957, its naming in 1966, and groundbreaking for the Academic Commons.
The tenth series contains scrapbooks, photograph scrapbooks, and miscellaneous photographs of the library and its staff. The bulk of the photographs of the library can be found in the Photograph Collection in the folder Library.
The eleventh series consists of ephemera created throughout the history of the library, such as bookplates, stickers, catalog cards, and notices that were posted in the library. One posted notice, which depict Blackwell Library, is oversized and separated (see box list for location).
There are two artifacts relevant to the Records of the Library: a chair and library doorplate from the original College Library in Holloway Hall.
The Records of the Library are arranged topically, primarily consisting of series that reflect the functions of the library. While many of the individual folders remain in their original order, some have been organized chronologically. There are 11 series:
(5) Accession Records
(6) Library Fines
(7) Library Guides
(10) Scrapbooks and Photographs
For series descriptions, see the Scope and Contents note.
- Topical Terms
- Corporate Names
- Maryland State Teachers College
- Salisbury State College
- Salisbury State University
- Salisbury University
- Salisbury University Libraries
- Personal Names
- Fisher, Grace Stoddard
- Location Terms
- Salisbury (Md.)
The inventory list for this item is hidden due to its length. Click the button below to view it.
1. Series 1: About the Library, circa 1940s-1990
2. Series 1: Reports, 1938-1995
3. Series 1: Professional/Reference Staff Meeting Minutes, 1979-1988
4. Series 1: Technical Services Meeting Minutes, 1978-1990
5. Series 1: Public Services Meeting Minutes, 1978-1984
6. Series 1: Communications Committee, 2014
7. Series 1: Organization Charts, 1978, 1995
8. Series 1: UMES Borrowing Privileges, 1970-1971
9. Series 1: Fire and Disaster Evacuation Plans, 1980, 2012
10. Series 1: Budget Estimates, 1975-1986
11. Series 1: Periodical Expenditures, 1976-1987
12. Series 1: Nursing Grant Periodicals, 1988-1990
13. Series 1: University of Maryland Libraries, 1961-2000
14. Series 1: Three Year Departmental Plans, 2005-2011
15. Series 2: Basic Employee Practices and Procedures, 1979
16. Series 2: Duties and Responsibilities of the Librarian, before 1957
17. Series 2: Student Assistant Employee Guide, 1968
18. Series 2: Blackwell Library Staff Handbook, 1999
19. Series 2: Circulation Desk Procedures, 1953-1967
20. Series 2: Card Catalog Filing Rules, circa 1966
21. Series 2: Memorandums, 1962-1980
22. Series 2: Personnel Ephemera, 1966-1999
23. Series 3: Planning a College Library Building, 1950-1951
24. Series 3: Specifications for a Library Building at State Teachers College, 1955
1. Series 3: General Library Building Planning Documents, 1950-1955
2. Series 3: General Library Building Planning Documents, undated
3. Series 3: College Library Building Floorplans, undated
4. Series 3: College Library Buildings Bibliographies, 1950
5. Series 3: Naming of Blackwell Library, 1966
6. Series 3: Space Summary, 1969
7. Series 3: Blackwell Library Renovation Planning, 1969
8. Series 3: Blackwell Library Renovation Planning, 1972-1975
9. Series 3: Blackwell Library Renovation Conditions of Contract, undated
10. Series 3: Library Furniture, before 1935-circa 1975
11. Series 3: Academic Commons Planning Overview and History, 2005-2011
12. Series 3: Academic Commons Space Planning, 1995-2005
13. Series 3: Academic Commons Planning Documents, 1991-2001
14. Series 3: Academic Commons Planning Data, 2005
15. Series 3: Academic Commons Planning Documents, 2005
16. Series 3: Academic Commons Planning with President, 2005
17. Series 3: Academic Commons Dean’s Planning Documents, 2005
18. Series 3: Academic Commons Planning Documents, 2007-2012
19. Series 4: Attendance and Circulation Statistics, 1939-1957
20. Series 4: General Statistics, 1941-1967
21. Series 4: General Statistics, 1986-1994
22. Series 4: Inventory and Holding Statistics, 1953-1983
23. Series 4: OCLC Statistics, 1984-1987
24. Series 4: Departmental Accreditation Statistics, 1978-1987
1. Series 4: Questionnaires, circa 1946-2000
2. Series 4: Cost Analyses, 1972-1977
3. Series 4: Legislative Request for Budget Statistics, 1977
4. Series 5: Accession Records (4), 1939-1970—SEPARATED (SEE SHELF)
5. Series 6: Account of Fine Money Paid, 1954-1955
6. Series 6: Record of Fines Due, 1962-1967
7. Series 6: Library Fines and Lost Books, 1964-1967
8. Series 6: Record of Fines Due, 1967-1969
9. Series 6: Receipt Book for Fines and Lost Books, 1967-1970
10. Series 6: Library Fines and Lost Books, 1970-1971
11. Series 7: Library Guides for Students, 1955-1959
12. Series 7: Library Guides for Students, 1960-1965
13. Series 7: Library Guides for Students, 1966-1971
14. Series 7: Library Guide for Students, 2013
15. Series 7: General Information Directories, 1965-1980
16. Series 7: Maps and Directories, circa 1957-1977
a. Series 7: Summer Session Guides, 1966-1975
17. Series 7: Library Acronyms and Abbreviations, circa 2001
18. Series 7: Brochures, 2007-2013
19. Series 7: Blackwell Library Folder Handout, 2012
20. Series 7: Audiovisual Guides, 1976
21. Series 7: Library of Congress Classification, 1970-1981
22. Series 7: Subject Headings Guide, 1982
23. Series 7: Paperbacks for College Bound Students, undated
24. Series 7: Reserve Lists, 1989-1992
25. Series 7: Curriculum Laboratory Guides, 1970
26. Series 7: Periodical System Guides, 1985-1993
27. Series 7: Advanced PC/MS DOS Guide, 1985
28. Series 7: Maryland Library Association Internet Procedures, undated
29. Series 7: VICTOR Online Catalog Guide, 1995
30. Series 7: Academic Commons Transition FAQ, 2016
31. Series 8: College Library News and Notes, 1966
32. Series 8: Curriculum Lab Newsletter, 1979
33. Series 8: Library Lite, 1991-1993
34. Series 8: The Enlightener, 1999-2005
35. Series 8: The Enlightener, 2006-2010
36. Series 8: The Enlightener, 2011-2016
37. Series 8: Press Release, 1983
38. Series 8: Holly Leaf Bibliography, 1954
39. Series 8: Newspaper Clippings, 1952-1983
1. Series 9: College Library Building Dedication, 1957
2. Series 9: Blackwell Library Naming, 1966
3. Series 9: Blackwell Library Renovation Open House, 1975
4. Series 9: Les Callette Civil War Memorial Room Dedication, 1979
5. Series 9: Maryland Preservation Planning Project meeting, 1993
6. Series 9: Recognizing and Preserving Faculty Scholarship: The Library’s Contribution, 2003
7. Series 9: Mitzi Perdue honor, 2004
8. Series 9: Charletta House retirement, 2008
9. Series 9: Les Callette Civil War Memorial Room Re-dedication, 2005-2006
10. Series 9: Library Booksale, 2007-2009
a. Series 9: Department of Music Benefit Concert, 2009
11. Series 9: Patricia Guerrieri Academic Commons Groundbreaking, 2014
12. Series 9: Pub Night, 2015
a. Series 9: Academic Commons Ribbon-Cutting, 2016
b. Series 9: Posters: Giving Day, De-Stress Station, Family Weekend, "Handmade Thinking" Exhibit, 2019
13. Series 10: Library Scrapbook, 1965-2005
14. Series 10: Miscellaneous Staff and Event Photographs, 1996-2015
15. Series 10: Library Photograph Scrapbook, 1972-1998 (SEE BOX 5)
16. Series 10: Library Photograph Scrapbook, 1999-2004 (SEE BOX 6)
17. Series 10: Library Photograph Scrapbook, 2005-2008 (SEE BOX 7)
18. Series 11: Catalog Card examples, undated
19. Series 11: Bookplates, 1952-2001
20. Series 11: Blackwell Library stickers, after 2001
21. Series 11: Posted Notices, 1976, 2015
22. Series 11: Test on the Use of Books and Libraries, 1950
1. Series 10: Library Photograph Scrapbook, 1972-1998
1. Series 10: Library Photograph Scrapbook, 1999-2004
1. Series 10: Library Photograph Scrapbook, 2005-2008
1. Series 3: Academic Commons Renderings, undated
2. Series 3: Blackwell Library rendering, circa 1956
3. Series 11: Blackwell Library broadside, undated
ArtifactsSee Nabb Center Staff